GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 plus years experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified

2008 GMC Yukon Denali. Parking lights will not turn off.

Customer Question

2008 GMC Yukon Denali. Parking lights will not turn off. Checked switch; swapped relay; removed fuses; left side off; right side still on with relay and fuse removed. Tried several combinations to no avail.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GMC. The GMC Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the parking lights (including license plate lights) will not shut off. Even with both fuses and relay removed, only the left side will shut off, not the right.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: at this point after replacing fuses, checking the switch and replacing the relay, I am at a loss.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GMC Mechanic should know about your GMC?
Customer: Nope. Hoping it is not the BCM
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.There is 3 fuses left and right park light. also a trailer park light fuseWith all of them out do they stay on?Do you have a test light or voltmeter? Please get back with me Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All three fuses are out and the right side stays on even with the relay as well. I checked the light switch, trailer wiring, etc. I do have a meter.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
Does the key have to be on to make the right side light up?Does the headlamps have to be on also?Can you post your VIN# *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lights stay on with or without key in. No switch needs to be on. The right side stays on without fuses. Relays keys anything except pulling the battery terminal.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
Please post your Vin#Can you pull all the fuses one at a time. In the under hood fuse block.Let me know if the lights shut off and what fuse caused it.Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
I understand that.I'm asking you to remove all other fuses one at a time.Need to see if where the power short is coming from.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
Keep me posted.Thank you
Expert:  GM Bob replied 5 months ago.
Just checking see if you need more help?Let me know if I was helpfulThank you