Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GM Tahoe: I have a 2009 Tahoe and the liftgate no longer works.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Tahoe and the liftgate no longer works. I drilled an access hole on the inside panel trim so that I can push the lever to manually open the liftgage and that has worked fine for the last year or so. The manual release is no longer working and the door now stays locked. Any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  edhunt0r replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I get the proper information for your vehicle and check for bulletins? Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1GNFK33019R177173
Expert:  edhunt0r replied 7 months ago.
The latch motor might be bad causing it to bind up the latch. You will need to try and get liftgate open and remove the panel Power LatchThe latch motor is a bi-directional motor and latch or unlatch operation is the result of the direction of the motor rotation. The liftgate module controls the latch motor through the control circuits by suppling power and ground in the appropriate polarity. The motor control circuits are monitored by the liftgate module prior to activation for a high or low condition and during motor operation for an insufficient current flow condition. The ratchet, pawl, and sector switches are part of the latch motor assembly and are used by the liftgate control module to determine the state of the latch during the process of latching or unlatching. Each of the latch switch signal circuits are supplied battery voltage through a resistor and monitored within the liftgate module. The latch switches share a common low reference circuit from the liftgate module and when the switch contacts close the signal circuit goes low and the liftgate module determines the switch to be active.The handle switch and close switch are parallel circuits and provide a single input to the liftgate control module. The handle/close switch signal circuit is supplied battery voltage through a resistor and monitored within the liftgate module. The switches share a common low reference circuit from the liftgate module and when the switch contacts close the signal circuit goes low and the liftgate module determines the switch to be active.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's the problem - I can't get the liftgate open to remove the panel. Again, I have access to the small lever that manually opened the liftgate - that no longer works. My question - is there any way to release the door manually?
Expert:  edhunt0r replied 7 months ago.
That is the only way, if the latch is binding. You might have to damage the panel to get it open. Since it has been giving you a problem for over a year it is probably to the point where it is binding too much. The latch will probably have to be replaced. You can try to see if you can spray some WD40 in the hole to see if it will loosen it some. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****