Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Gmc Sierra: My 2001 gmc sierra fuel gauge is always on empty

Customer Question

My 2001 gmc sierra fuel gauge is always on empty Took it to dealer they said is the fuel sender I already put a new fuel pump that includes the sender But still no good I dont know what to do now
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The only 2 things left are a wiring short or the instrument cluster. Do you own a volt ohm meter and can you get the cluster out so we can test the wiring to the sender as well as check the signal from the sender? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a volt meter and can also remove the cluster
Great, what size sierra and which engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1500 and its 4.3
Thanks, ***** ***** model the fuel level indicator communicates with the PCM, then the PCM sends the signal to the cluster. So we need to unplug the PCM connector 2 and ohm test across pin 57 orange/black and pin 54 purple. These are the readings you should get in this link. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/FLI.pdf If you get that result then reconnect everything and see if the PCM shows accurate with a scan tool. If not then the PCM is bad. If so then the instrument cluster is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
54 its orange with black line and 57 its full orange
Use the other PCM connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I git like two volts so the means the cluster its bad or do i check at the cluster connection
Since your doing the voltage test rather than the ohm test, 2 volts indicates a little less than 3/4 tank. Is that accurate?Did you use a scan tool to see if the PCM is showing a correct fuel level reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel sys 1 CL
Fuel sys 2 CL
Calc load (%) 2.7
ETc(F) 167That whst the scanner says ob fuel
It seems your tool is not able to look at the fuel level indicator readings. All of those are for the engine running PIDS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its there any way i can check the connection to the cluster to make sure the cluster is getting the right watts or ohms ????
The fuel level signal is sent across data communication wires that carry all the instrument cluster signals. There is not a dedicated fuel level signal wire to the cluster.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris