Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

Gmc cayon 2005 falt code p2101

Customer Question

Gmc cayon 2005 falt code p2101
Category: GMC
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.
Hello, is this the 4 or 5 cylinder model?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5 cylinder
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 months ago.
This code sets when there is a throttle position sensor error. Have any parts been replaced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I talked to this about someone from here and I am following the steps to test wiring and had a few questions but he got off line could you please call I can explain. A little better
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's won't let me click the call button have you gotten a request to call
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you there
I am sorry. I did not realize you had an open request with another expert. I am going to opt out so you can continue to work with them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I willing to pay the extra I just need some one who can call and be available now
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
did you still need help ?
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
picture
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
DTC P2101 CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION The commanded throttle position (TP) is compared to the actual TP based on accelerator pedal position (APP) and possibly other limiting factors. Both values should be within a calibrated range of each other. The powertrain control module (PCM) continuously monitors the commanded and actual TPs. This DTC sets if the values are greater than the calibrated range.DTC DESCRIPTOR This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:DTC P2101 Throttle Actuator Position PerformanceCONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC The ignition is ON.The ignition voltage is greater than 8 volts.The system is not in Battery Saver mode.The engine is running.DTC P0068 is not set.DTC P2101 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC The difference between the predicted and the actual throttle position is more than a calibrated amount.The above condition is present for more than 0.6 second.ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC The PCM turns OFF the MIL after*****trips that the diagnostic runs and passes.A History DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles in which there are no failures reported of this diagnostic or any other emission related diagnostic.The scan tool clears the MIL/DTC.DIAGNOSTIC AIDS The throttle valve is spring loaded to a slightly open position. The throttle valve should be open approximately 20 percent . This is referred to as the rest position. The throttle valve should not be completely closed nor should they be open any more than the specified amount. The throttle valve should move open and to the closed position without binding under the normal spring pressure. The throttle should NOT be free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure. Replace the throttle body if any of these conditions are found.IMPORTANT: Operating the throttle blade with the Throttle Blade Control function of the scan tool may cause additional DTCs to set. DO NOT attempt to diagnose DTCs set during this function.The scan tool has the ability to operate the throttle control system using Special Functions. Actuate the throttle valve using the throttle blade control function located in the throttle actuator control (TAC) System menu. This function will operate the throttle valve through the entire range in order to determine if the throttle body and system operate correctly.Inspect for the following conditions:Use the J 35616 Connector Test Adapter Kit for any test that requires probing the PCM harness connector or a component harness connector.Poor connections at the PCM or at the component-Inspect the harness connectors for a poor terminal to wire connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Diagnostic Aids for the proper procedure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Replaced plug and throttle body did not change a thing
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
visually check those 2 signal wires from the throttle body to the PCM and do they look good ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have ripped open the harness nothing looks as if it's shorted resistance check every wire to that connector
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
try a new connector next
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did I replaced the connector, the throttle body
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
still sets the code ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea the connector on the throttle body was replaced not the connector at the pcm
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible for a mass airflow sensor to cause this problem
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
i would next run 2 new temp wires signal wires from the throttle body to the computer OR follow this chart