Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 1997 GMC YUKON dome lights will not turn off, so I have

Customer Question

My 1997 GMC YUKON dome lights will not turn off, so I have to pull the fuse, which also feeds the outside mirror controls, in order to keep the battery from going down. I have replace the headlight switch module which has the dome light over-ride bottom built into it. I have replaced both front door door jamb switches and I have inspected and confirmed good the 2 rear door jamb switches as well as the back cargo door contacts. ever
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ever once in awhile I will replace the fuse and the lights will turn off after a 40 second time delay, but eventually they will stay on again. I have noticed that when they are not turning off that there is a "clicking" sound under the dash after the 40 sec delay as if something is operating, but the lights remain on after this clicking sound.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Below is a link to the wire diagram I will be using. I need to first off confirm if you have remote keyless entry prior to helping diagnose this.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/yukoncourtesy.pdf -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Chris..
I do have remote keyless entry and I see the wiring diagram you mentioned. However, I am not good a following a wiring diagram, so keep it simple. I believe if I could find the exact location of the device making the "clicking" noise that I mentioned in the original questions, then I could locate the source of the problem. By the way, I noticed a confirmation that the remainder of my deposit had been withdrawn. I thought I only got charged after satisfied with the answer?
You are charged as soon as a tech replies to confirm you actually have a valid card and funds. Once pleased then you rate the answer so the tech gets paid from your deposit. With the headlight switch removed, do the courtesy lamps stay on with the doors closed? If so is the white wire to the switch grounded?