Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

I have a 2008 Envoy. It was having a bad start a couple

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2008 Envoy. It was having a bad start a couple of months ago. clicking after unit was running. then it develped a no start policy at times - using the key. Last year it had an auto start put in. I replaced the battery and had them remove the auto start. Then the key worked up until a couple of days ago. Nothing. Battery is good. could it be the ignition switch or a bad battery ground?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new battery. getting a new battery ground cable
JA: Anything else I can tell the GM Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Most common to fail on this model here and cause this issue is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail in several cases before needing replaced for this issue.The internal contacts wear.This was a common issue on this model here and the new switch is usually less then $30 at any parts store and less then an hour to replace. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete