Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

2004 Yukon brake lights won't work. All other lights work

Customer Question

2004 Yukon brake lights won't work. All other lights work and when we hook up trailer the brake lights on the trailer work but not on the truck.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the GMC Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All fuses and bulbs have been checked and are good. Replaced the brake light switch and still nothing.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Does the 3rd (center) brake light work on the vehicle when the brake is pressed with the key on or engine running? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete!! No it doesn't
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vortec 4.8L V-8
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical with so we can pinpoint this issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Will an auto parts store be able to test this for me?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
In some cases they can but there are a few tests that need done.They may not do all of the tests needed.Testing and faults are listed below if you can find someone to test this. test the STOP LP fuse in the under hood fuse box for power at all times key on or off.test the orange wire at the stop lamp switch for power at all times.If there is no power there is a broken wire leading from the stop lp fuse to the switchtest the white wire from the stop lamp switch with the switch plugged in for power when pressing on the brake,if there is no power the new switch is faulty.Test for power at the veh stop fuse in the interior fuse panel for power with brake pressed,if there is no power then there is a break in the wiring leading from the stop switch to this fuse that needs located and repaired.One of these will be the fault here needing repaired. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try this and see what happens. I will let you know what I find. Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete