Gary, GM Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

Gmc Sierra: I just put in new head gaskets (gm grade c) arp

Customer Question

I just put in new head gaskets (gm grade c) arp studs and am getting a lot of pressure building in the water system. Had the heads planed, hot tanked and vac tested. 2005 lly. Bled water system at the top of the thermostat housing. Need help!
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,I would contact ARP.I have used ARP studs in some engines.Sometimes a stud or bolt is "too hard" and doesn't stretch as much when torqued.The stretch is what keeps a constant clamp on the assembly.Your tension wrench goes off at the setting required.A short time later, the clamping force has reduced because the fastener is not like a spring to keep the clamping force.Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It leaked instantly when fired up, not days later.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
I said a short time later after being tensioned.We had one that leaked prior to fireup.You might find you can retension the heads, then reassess.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, Have you decided which way to go with this?I would get a new set of factory head bolts and torque in the factory sequence.Hope this helps.Gary