Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

97. K2500 7.4. Replaced egr with a cheap aftermarket off Amazon,

Customer Question

97. K2500 7.4. Replaced egr with a cheap aftermarket off Amazon, truck runs terrible 5 minutes into first drive. Po300 code found, swapped egr with old one, still backfire, still bad. Didnt have tis problem before..plugs, distributor are new from dealership, installed by them months prior when had cylinder 5 misfire...
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The GMC Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Anything else I can tell the GMC Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Yeah, "HELP" lol
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: GMC
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist the 300 code is a multiple missfire code for all cylinders. the most common failure for this is low fuel pressure. can you check the fuel pressure with a gauge??? if not, you can rent one from a parts store to check Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to go buy one now
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, will be here Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
59 psi
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
56-62 is this with it running or key on engine off??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. 64Psi running
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, I assume you verified the firing order to be sure you did not mess up the wires in the cap??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The truck was drivable until i replaced the egr valve. Thats all i did.
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the valve again and see if it has a chunk of carbon on the pindle. there may be a carbon build up in the intake holding them open Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pindle clean. And moves freely..if i was to purchase a oem egr valve, install, reset codes ...that should do it right?
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
I would try it and see. I did not see a egr code set in your post Roy