Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years

GMC Sierra 1500 Classic SLT: I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Z71.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Z71. I have done brake jobs in over the years and I'm familiar with over tightening lugs on alloy wheels and warping rotors. I can't figure this one out. A couple of week after I bought this truck, I started the front calipers started locking down as I was driving down the road. I let off the gas and it was like someone was mashing the brake. The brakes were smoking. I went though a series of replacing the calipers twice, rotors 3 times, and numerous brake pads. It's worse in warmer ambient temps. I've had the front hoses replaced as well. Now, I drive down the road a while and it starts to shake like crazy. I can pull over a time or two,mash the brake to the floor, take off again, and it will drive okay the rest of the time that I drive it. I have to do this procedure to and from work everyday when it starts to shake. Like I said, once I do that, it drives perfect.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
does it shake the steering wheel ?are any of the 4 wheels slicking on at all still ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes, it shakes the steering wheel and the whole truck
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
when this happens the brakes are still being held on just enough to heat up the rotors to cause the rotors to warp enough to cause this issuewhen this happens which wheels are locked up or have the brakes dragging ?both fronts ?both rears ?all 4 ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
both fronts
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
this is usually going to be caused by the master cylinders itself keeping brake fluid applied to the front brakes when it should not bewith new calipers and front hoses the only thing left to cause this would be a bad master cylinderreplacing it should correct this issue you are havingif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
how are you making out ?if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer