JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Technician
25345654

2008 acadia lost communication to airbag control module

Customer Question

Category: GMC
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

No scan tool communication? Or are there warning lights on the dash that indicate a problem?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
vehicle was in crash replaced seat belts curtain air bags and control module. When installation was complete light was still on. And scanner says no communication.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All fuses are good . When i do a complete vehicle scan it doesnt even detect the restraint system.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is any body there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been sitting here for over an hour! This shop closes at 7 so it will be very hard to answer any related questions once the doors close... I guess the initial response is just a teaser so just answer can get their $. I paid extra for expedited info. please respond.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WOW! I sat here for over an hour and a half and the shop is closing. What a waste of time.....
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry, I got called away from my desk after I responded to you.

What are you using for a scan tool? If you try to read airbag data, does it say no communication, or no data available?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No communication
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Snap on solus
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

OK, I am researching now, give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe it has lost ign power but fuses all check out and no owners manual
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

There are two airbag fuses, both are labeled AIRBAG, one is in the IP fuse block, and one is in the underhood fuse block. You said you checked all fuses, but I want you to specifically check these two, with a test light, and see if power is present on both sides of each fuse.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they have power
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

OK, the ground side is next, you'll need to access the airbag module, and check for ground on pin 1. While there, also check for power on pin 31 and 32, just to make sure that power and ground is actually reaching the module.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you know the pin lay out?
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

Yes, here is a diagram.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok all 3 pins check out ok
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

OK. You programmed the new module, yes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I can't there is no communication
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

When you turn the key on, what does the airbag light on the dash do?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It comes on and stays on no flashing
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

Are the other modules setting codes for "no communication with SDM"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No codes present but it only detects engine, trans,abs, and body control
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

Body control should definitely be setting a code, I would think. It's clear that the SDM isn't communicating. You have power and ground, the only thing left to check is the integrity of the data circuits.

But one more thing before we go that way: I have run into issues with these sliding lock connectors. Is that plastic connector damaged in any way? Did anyone break it trying to disconnect the SDM? If it's not working right, the connector won't engage the pins of the SDM, and it will be like it's not even there, but the connector appears to be attached just fine. Spend a few minutes with it and make sure that connector is working the way it should, and engaging those pins.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought all of that yesterday and spent hours making sure the connector was doing its job. I did however find the culprit one of my techs bent a couple pins in my scanner connector and now problem solved thanks
Expert:  JFN1 replied 8 months ago.

Excellent!

Don't forget to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.