joeplow
joeplow, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have extensive experience since 1974,engines,ac, & Transmissions since1978
17290852

I'm getting a very loud grinding/vibration when slowing

Customer Question

I'm getting a very loud grinding/vibration when slowing down, I own a 2008 gmc envoy it sounds like a gear is trying to engage. I first noticed this a couple of days ago when my knee hit the auto select for the traction control. I switched it back to*****and no problems for a couple days now it's back with a vengeance. do you thing this is the tcc sensor or where should i check?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Are there any lights on or illuminated on the dash? Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light on
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Does it sound like the ABS pump or motor is kicking when braking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it happens when idling or coasting down without applying the breaks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's sounds like a gear is trying to engage
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. I am going to leave this open for other experts. Good luck!

Expert:  joeplow replied 1 year ago.

Hello ,this should be a broken Snap ring in the Trans-fer case...If you have Aamco Transmission center it will be checked for Free....but please rate me as then I will get paid Thanks Joey