Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic

Cam, I'm ***** *****. I just installed new front speakers in

Customer Question

Hi Cam, I'm ***** *****. I just installed new front speakers in the doors of my 2006 Sierra 1500. Now there is no power to the door controls on either side. Power lock don't work and buttons don't light up. Also the dome light now stays on when I drive and I can't shut it off. The key in the ignition chime goes off and I turn the truck off but haven't opened the door. I checked all the plugs to the power window door controls and rhey are correctly reinstalled. I'm stumped.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There is no power to the doors at all. No lights in buttons or corner courtesy light.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GMC Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Cam is either offline or away, might I be of assistance.

The first thing to do is obtain a wiring diagram of that circuit, so I will need some more information in order to look that up.

Is this the sub-model WT, SLT, SLE, etc and which engine came in this, the 4.3, 5.3, etc and is it gas or flex?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
SLT 5.3l gas 4-door
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

One more thing, is this the base or up level power doors/

Anyhow, here are all of the power door lock wiring diagrams, start by checking the fuses.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I will be back in just a moment.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I'll check fuses and see. I'm not sure but I think it's base level locks.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, be sure to let me know the results.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Mike. I have checked all fuses and they are all good. I did a reset of the bcm by disconnecting the battery and bcm connects. That was able to get the dome light and key chime to recognize when the doors are closed so that has been corrected. However, I still have no power to either of the front doors. The wire diagrams you sent have been a big help so thank you. I'm just wondering what the next step would be since the fuses have checked out. Thanks for your time. -Eric
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Did you actually test both sides of the fuses using a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light?

If not, that would be the next step, and continue testing fuses when asked and not just looking at them.

You say there is no power to either side door controls. May I ask which color wires have no power?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

It's possible there is one of those 3 relays that are bad. Hopefully we can figure it out by the results of a few tests.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Also, if you have a scan tool it may save us some time to retrieve the codes from the bcm.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. I'll work on all that next.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, once you know the color of the wires, let me know and if you have any spare relays in either fuse box, also let me know if you swap any relays.