Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

My fuse keep blowing under my hood the one lighter, could

Customer Question

my fuse keep blowing under my hood the one for cigarette lighter, could that be from my headlight being blown
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trying to get a reading on my car but they cannot because the fuse keep blowing. They say I have an electrical problem but I don't have any check engine light on. But my headlights I just recently found our blog both my highlight and frog light
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model of this vehicle as well as engine size and I will look up the diagram on this model here for you?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2005 Yukon Denali
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,on this model the cigarette lighter fuse powers the data link connector (this is the connector they are plugging their scan tool into) as well as the cigar lighter socket.The short is in line between the socket and the data link connector leading to this fuse.The other reason is if you have a charger or component plugged into your cigar lighter port that may be shorting out internally shorting out this fuse.If everything is unplugged from the cigar lighter socket and this fuse continues to short out then the wiring needs traced (it is an orange wire) leading from the data link connector and the cigar lighter socket to the fuse to locate the damage in the wiring or short to ground in the wiring needing repaired.Once this is done then the scan tool can plug in and read your vehicle.

Any head light issues wont cause this fault here.The electrical problem they are speaking of is due to the fuse shorting out due to a short in the wiring and the wiring needs traced and the fault found with it and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete