George H.
George H., ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  15+ Years ASE Master Technician with Level 1 Certification
13574682

My 1993 gmc sierra 4.3 L truck will start but before I move

Customer Question

My 1993 gmc sierra 4.3 L truck will start but before I move it starts to spudder and then it dies. I drove to work today had no problems. Round trip 80 miles. Got home
Then went to leave hour later and this happened. It rained hard while I was working and drove home in the rain. Put code scanner on it. Results was a code 12 which meant computer recognized no problem. Soo frusrated please help if you Can. Thank you. James D.
Category: GMC
Expert:  George H. replied 8 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will need to drive it until it quits again or let it heat soak after a drive and see if it will restart. When it won't start or when it dies you need to see the fuel pressure so you can install a gauge and have it ready or you can try spraying starting fluid in the intake and see if it tries to start.

If it does not start on spray then it is not a fuel problem but I think your fuel pump is dying.

If it will start on spray or shows no pressure on the gauge check for 12 volts and ground to the pump and if the pump has voltage replace the pump.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you