Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Getting code poo17, new camshaft actuator solenoid, camshaft

Customer Question

getting code poo17, new camshaft actuator solenoid, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, plugs and #6 cylinder coil. engine is now missing on #5 and #6 cylinder. when the problems started it started to tick and than it started to knock bad, sounded like a piston was going to go through the block.
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I believe I just told you in the first text
JA: Is there anything else the GMC Mechanic should be aware of about your GMC?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the GMC Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, first have you checked the oil and made sure it is topped up and that the filter is in good shape? Secondly, assuming that the oil is ok, sounds like there is an issue with either the timing chains being stretched, or maybe just worn guides. Either way you'll have to tear down the engine somewhat and inspect. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I installed a new camshaft actuator do I have to prime it where the check valve is?

No just start the vehicle up and it will fill with oil immediately. No priming required.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Has new oil, still knocking. Ready to shoot the truck.

Oil light on? And are you using a factory filter? Also, make sure the oil is at the proper level.