Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Have a 2004 duramax lly with new and injectors, glow plugs

Customer Question

have a 2004 duramax lly with new and injectors, glow plugs and fuel injection pump. motor runs for 20 minutes then quits. any thing that might stand out?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kevin, My name is***** this quits is it instant like you turned off the key switch or like it is starving for fuel?

Check for fuel leaks most commonly at the fuel filter housing near the water in fuel sensor as they are known to crack and leak causing a loss of fuel pressure. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like it is starved for fuel. Filter new and no leaks.

Is it throwing a check engine light? also pressurize the fuel tank with air to see if it might reveal some leaks as it could be opening up a crack when the engine warms since it is 20 minutes into running.

Hi Kevin, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Truck is at gmc repair now

Thanks for the update. Would you like to close this out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to wait until next week as GM has not been able to diagnose the problem.. New injectors, new glow plugs, new high pressure fuel pump, and now waiting on a FICM. Sounds like they are throwing parts at the problem which concerns me. Said only codes were #1 injector and glow plug. It ran when it went in shop. Now they can't keep it running. Runs for 20 minutes then shuts off. Will have an update at 6p

Let me know. Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to pick up the truck-the mechanic can't get it to run- new injectors, glow plugs, fuel rail, high pressure fuel pump, ficm. No codes are coming up. Seems he was just throwing parts at it in hopes of success. Any thoughts?

If fuel pressure is good and no leaks, module is new and no codes, I would check for engine speed signal from the crank sensor which a loss of speed signal will disable injection. Check for that and let me know.

Hi Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No resolution. Had to have it towed back to my lot and in the process of finding someone to follow up on someone else's work.

Thanks for the update. That is never fun trying to retrace someone elses steps. Let me know if I can be further help once you get back into it.