Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra sl with a 4.3 engine. The truck has

Customer Question

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra sl with a 4.3 engine. The truck has a 5 speed manual transmission. After filling up with gas the truck wants to bog down in !st and third gear. also most of the time it bogs going into third gear. The truck sat for a year, and I'm working to get it past emissions testing. The codes I am getting know are po141, I changed both front O2 sensors six months ago. PO161 I didn't change the down stream ones yet. I'm getting po404 and po405, I have changed the EGR valve but keep getting small pieces of carbon stuck in the valve. I read about putting a screen over the valve hole. Is that safe? I think I have a money pit on my hands. Help please! Sometimes the check engine light goes off, then comes back on.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Since you are setting the lean codes , have you installed a fuel pressure gauge and monitored the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. Can you do that while driving?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Yes, all you need to do is install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and monitor the fuel pressure while the engine is bogging. Normal fuel pressure should be right at 55 to 60 PSI. Lets start with checking it first . Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not working on the truck right now. Your saying it could be a fuel pressure issue. I just had a new fuel pump installed in December because the gauge was at full or empty. mostly at empty. I couldn't tell how much gas was in the tank.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

It sure dose sound like it could be a fuel pressure issue, running the fuel pressure test would at least rule it out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok it wont be today, I'll check it out.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

No problem, Im here everyday, post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Talk to you then.