Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I HAVE A SITUATION WHERE A FUELING STATION HAD GASOLINE

Customer Question

I HAVE A SITUATION WHERE A FUELING STATION HAD GASOLINE RUNNING THROUGH THEIR DIESEL TANK - I FILLED MY 2015 GMC 2500HD DENALI (ONLY 11K) - I HAD TROUBLE STARTING LATER THAT DAY - 1-2 CRANKS THEN IT STARTED - WHEN IT STARTED TAKING 4-5 CRANKS TO START LATER THAT WEEK, I CALLED THE DEALER - I FIGURED IT WAS A SOFTWARE ISSUE - I DROVE THERE BUT THEN THEY COULDN'T GET IT STARTED - PULLED THE FILTER - ALL GAS - CAN YOU WALK THROUGH EVERYTHING THAT IN A PERFECT WORLD SHOULD BE REPLACED AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT COULD TURN UP LATER ON?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin was there any metal filings in fuel filter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when pouring out filter thin scraps collected at bottom of jar - no sign of any diesel fuel either - just gas
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok then unfortunatly its not good news the recommendation in this situation is to replace everything fuel system related.the tank all pipes low pressure,filter,fuel rail and sensors injectors ,high pressure pipes .everything

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think taking it even further - I'm concerned about engine running off gas for about a week - exhaust over cooking gas that long - even egr sys - plus any gasket thought out the whole cycle - big gas company on the hook for this - I want everything addressed - even dealer seems soft footing this repair like its a 10 year old diesel and a drunk Friday mistake - looking to give tank a bath - blow lines - and fill her up
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Sorry i missed the question ,do you want a cheap fix or are you asking if anything else is likely to be damaged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question is wouldn't the damage continue thru engine - exhaust - and even further problems down the road?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Its unlikely that further damage in system would be caused if it were my vehicle and someone else was at fault i would want every part of fuel system replaced.the problem you have is system is now contaminated with metal filings if every single metal filing is not removed over a period of time they will get back through system and score the bearings inside fuel pump causing more filings and putting you bavk to square one .

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else