Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

GM Yukon Denali: i have a 2008 yukon denali. Upon start the

Customer Question

i have a 2008 yukon denali. Upon start the truck will make a grinding sound a second after start. The sound is like when you used to try to start a car that was already running? like the starter grind noise? i have read this might be the power steering pump but want to confirm your opinion. Typically only happens at first start in the am. Buy has happened at other times too. mostly using the autostart feature
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry your having this problemwill it do this without using the autostart ?has a shop looked at this truck yet for this issue ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, its done it without the auto start ,but it does it more with autostart... No, that i why i am asking you what the issue is first. Again, after a through review of the intenet i have narrowed the issue down...

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.
remove the power steering belt to eliminate it as the problem. It could possibly be a broken return spring inside the starter solenoid that is responsible for retracting the starter drive gear after voltage is cutoff to the starter and causing the drive gear to hang out and grind against the fast spinning flywheel/flexplate teeth.I would think you should be able to test that by removing the splash shield for the torque convertor if equipped with an auto trans, or simply reaching in there with your finger if it will fit/reach or using a thin/long screwdriver and feeling if there is spring tension on that starter drive gear holding it away from the flywheel/flexplate with the negative battery cable disconnected.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.
#483 in this diagram is what I am referring to as the starter solenoid return spring, http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/0a/7c/9c/large/0900c152800a7c9c.gif
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.
If it is broken, usually you don't have to replace the starter or the solenoid, just remove the solenoid cause the spring is positioned like in this diagram, http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/20/71/2e/medium/0996b43f8020712e.gif