Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I think my ABS lights are coming on in my 2001 GMC Yukon XL

Customer Question

I think my ABS lights are coming on in my 2001 GMC Yukon XL because the previous owner installed larger tires that OEM. He was silly, and installed different brands of 285 tires, so the rear tires have a larger diameter than the front tires.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GMC. The GMC Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need to know how to 'teach' the ABS about the tire size
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GMC Mechanic should know about your GMC?
Customer: yes, I intend to fix myself
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Tire size has to be inputted into the control module using a Tech2 scan tool. If you do not have one, then you will need a shop to do this as you cannot "teach" or "learn" the tire size into the ABS control module without one. There is no DIY method to do this.