Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have a 2001 gmc yukon with a push emergency brake and it

Customer Question

I have a 2001 gmc yukon with a push emergency brake and it is stuck down and I cant get it to pop back up
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its stuck almost all the way to the ground it wont pop up. It isnt one of the ones with the pull lever.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GMC Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.
So about your vehicle,

IF the cable broke from the release handle to the assembly then you can find the small lever on the side of the parking brake assembly to pull and it will release.
IF that does not work, then its likely you parking brake cables on the back of the vehicle that are seized. For those, you need to identify which is bad and your best option is to pry right at the brake lever on the backing plates to release it or cut the cables as you will need to replace them anyway.