Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Traction off and stabilitrack off light come on and then may

Customer Question

traction off and stabilitrack off light come on and then may go off again with out driver doing anything all on dry payment
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the most common causes for this issue here is a fault with one of the wheel speed sensors needing replaced.If one of the wheel speed sensors is sending an incorrect signal this can trigger these lights here.The lights or messages can come on and go off if the fault goes away on its own.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in the anti lock brake and suspension computers.This requires a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the wheel speed sensor signals to see if one is reading incorrectly when the fault occurs as this is the sensor needing replaced.

This may be a suspension component fault as well like a shock sensor but usually when the traction light is on this can indicate a wheel speed sensor fault.Having the codes checked will help pinpoint and repair this issue here.You might be able to get the codes read free of charge at a local parts store as places like Auto Zone will sometimes read the fault codes free of charge.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Answer very late , took it to dealership , replaced steering sensor, problem corrected. Not at all satisfied with your response time, will NOT use your service again
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I posted an answer the same day you posted your question as dated above.One hour and 15 minutes later.

If there is anything else I can help with here let me know as I strive to achieve an o.k. to excellent rating.

Thanks Pete