Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Databases
17871496

2009 Acadia, has had service stabilitrac and traction

Customer Question

2009 Acadia, has had service stabilitrac and traction control for a while, now misfire in high gear when under light throttle feels like torque convertor shudder. Had p0402 code. Could cat be bad causing this?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light ever flash? P0402 is related to EGR and this vehicle does not have a EGR.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Scan said catalyst bank 1.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
May have been 0420
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

That would make more sense. Does the check engine light ever flash?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it will come on and then go off in a couple of days
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Usually if the catalytic converter is clogged it will make vehicle act like a rpm limiter such as not want to go over 3500 rpm. Does the check engine light ever flash rapidly? The steering wheel angle sensor usually causes the stablitrak and traction control lights but you need to check codes with scantool capable of reading abs codes. P0420 is a PCM code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check ABS codes now. No rapid flash. Also main issue is the rpm jumpy in 6th gear under light acceleration. Then like rumble strips before it down shifts. My reader identifies codes and said catalyst out of range bank 1. I cleared it or I would dbl check
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Abs code c0710
Also the car will not rev over 4000 rpms
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I power brake only revs to 3k but doesn't try to spin
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Ok, so it does sound like your catalytic converter is the hesitation and P0420 problem. C0710 is also for the steering wheel position sensor. If vehicle has under 80k miles converter will be replaced for free by dealer and steering wheel position sensor is about a $300 job, dealer scantool is needed to recalibrate new sensor. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it said bank 1 which convertor is it. Also could the convertor cause the jumpy in high gear situation
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Yes the converter could cause it to be jumpy in high gear. Bank 1 is the side of engine with cylinder 1 which is the rear of engine by firewall. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems like there would be a cause for the failure of the converter. No misfire codes.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

The converter can just fail without any causes. Things that can cause early converter failure is engine burning oil, burning coolant, or misfire. If all of those are good I'd assume it just failed without any external cause. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After driving yesterday it will rev over 5k in drive seems pretty strong in gear but is still jumpy and acts like its stumbling in 5th and 6th gear at low throttle
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Can you take a video of problem? Thanks.