Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

My gMc top kick c4500 front drive shaft locks in during

Customer Question

My gMc top kick c4500 front drive shaft locks in during 4wheel drive but the front tires womt engage n turn
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the transfer case is engaging but the front differential is not this can be a fault with the shift fork inside the front differential damaged or the gear damaged inside of it causing no engagement and if this is an electronic engaged front differential the actuator can fail in the front differential and cause this issue here as well.This will have to be inspected/tested further to pinpoint the cause for this fault here and then from there it can be repaired.This may require a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers to check the actuator as well as electrical test equipment to test it.If the electrical part of the 4wd is operating properly then the front differential may have to be removed and inspected internally for any mechanical faults needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you know if there is a actuator or something on the front differential that engages when the transfer case engages
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me the year of this model here and I can see what I can locate?

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2008 gmc top kick same as a chevy kodiak I find more information when I search for kodiak
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this front differential should have an electronic shift actuator and it is usually located on the passenger side of the front differential.I done show the exact specifics on this model here for this but it should use an electronic actuator that engages when shifted into 4wd.This can fail in some cases needing replaced but it is also possible that the internal shift fork or gear in the front differential is broken or damaged needing replaced.If you can locate the actuator on most models it can be removed then the vehicle shifted to 4wd to see if it extends for 4wd and retracts when in 2wd.If it does then the actuator is o.k. and the front differential needs inspected further to locate and repair the fault internally.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is that a way you can find a picture of what it looks like ?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

It usually looks similar to this here and threads into the front differential housing and has a large connector attached to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15viljs9bi1jy26/act-01-24.jpg?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'm going to go and look
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you find here and if the actuator isnt located let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could find a actuator I checked the front back n sides !
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this model does not use an electronic actuator then.The front wheels may be locked in at all times in the differential mechanically and when the transfer case is shifted into 4wd then the 4wd operates from there.If there are no actuators on the differential and your front drive shaft is engaged and spinning in 4wd this indicates an internal mechanical fault in the differential.

Check and make sure your front hubs are not manual locking hubs.This was an older set up to where you would twist the hubs at the wheel area to lock the front differential.If it does then try and manual engage them and see if they work from there.If they do not or they are locked in then the fault is in the differential and needs removed and inspected for repair.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We may have found the switch I'll let you know hear soon
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I be dammed Pete Manuel hubs got her fitted next question can I leave them locked n drive n 2wd
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Yeah some of these have the old style manual hubs it all depends on how it was built.

I dont recommend leaving them locked in 2wd on dry road surface as this can cause damage to the front differential but on a slippery surface you may be o.k.It is best though to only shift these in when you need 4wd to prevent wear.

Thanks Pete