Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

2006 GMC Canyon security issue. Intermittent but when it

Customer Question

2006 GMC Canyon security issue. Intermittent but when it happens the light blinks and the truck won't start. Wait 10 to 15 min and the light stays steady and the truck can be started. What is the issue?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause for this issue here is a fault with the pass lock sensor not reading the key properly.The pass lock sensor is located inside the electronic ignition switch on this model here.The ignition switch is the electronic portion that the key cylinder rotates.This sensor will act up intermittently and cause what you have described with the switch needing replaced to correct this issue here.

I would start with having the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set in all computers.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

I suspect your electronic ignition switch does need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete