Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

1993 GMC Sierra 5.7L. Truck starts and runs great. After

Customer Question

1993 GMC Sierra 5.7L. Truck starts and runs great. After driving for a while it shuts off like the ignition was turned off. When it does this it will turn over but not start. After sitting for a while it will start again and run fine. Sometimes it will be days between doing this but seems to be happening more often.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when this does this do you see fuel pulse out of the injectors when cranking it over ? does it have spark out of the coil ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to check. Its my sons truck and every time I have gotten to him it has re-started. I do know that you can hear the fuel pump pumping when you turn the key on.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you hear the fuel pump running then 99 % of these are bad ignition modules OR the pick up coil inside the distributor

usually the quick fix for this is to pick up a complete rebuilt distributor which comes with a new module and pick up coil and swapping it out into your truck will correct this issue

if you have any questions please ask

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer