AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

How do I remove the 'non-harmonic balancing'

Customer Question

how do I remove the 'non-harmonic balancing' crankshaft pulley in a 2000 gmc 1500 sierra. I've already got the bolt out. But there are no threaded holes to use a harmonic balancer pulley kit, it is a solid piece of steel.
Category: GMC
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

I'll try to help you out with this. Which engine is in your truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.3 vortec

Ok, your harmonic balancer has no threaded holes, but has 3 rather large openings, correct?

ON the back side of those 3 openings, there are flat spots. You will need a 3 jaw puller to remove that balancer. I will find you a couple pictures showing how it's done. they do make a special harmonic balancer puller just for that style of harmonic balancer, but a 3 jaw gear puller will also do the job fine. Just as long as you fit it inside those openings, and don't grab it around the outer edge.. I will find you some pictures..

here is a picture of the actual puller that is made for this. I will also find you a picture of it being done with a standard gear puller.

Just wondering if you got that taken care of?