George H.
George H., ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  15+ Years ASE Master Technician with Level 1 Certification
13574682

My names ***** ***** and I am having problems with power to

Customer Question

Customer: My names ***** ***** and I am having problems with power to the heater motor it has the electronic heater controls
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The fan motor will not start, removed it and hooked it up to a bench battery and the fan motor ran fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GMC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes that's fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight to check the circuit if I guide you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Great, let me know if you have 12 volts at the red and orange wires at the blower resistor next to the blower motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No voltage

This is which model of 2003 GMC?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Find the BLOWER fuse in the underhood fuse block and be sure you have power at its feed pin.

The red wire comes directly from that fuse through the instrument panel fuse block so we need to check both places,

You are sure the meter works? You tested it on the battery?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The meter is fine and there is power there

By "there" you mean at the fuse?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Good I will get you a diagram of the right end instrument panel. The red wire goes through it so you will need to see if you have voltage in and voltage out. That red wire runs from the panel to the resistor from there.

Look in the "d" pin position for the red wire on both these >Click< You should show 12 volts at both large red wires, If you have 12 volts in but nothing out the fuse block is open inside. C1 is power from the underhood fuse block.

Let me know what you find

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Account # ***** and Order ID# *****
I am not a bit happy with the response I have received. did some more research independently and realized there was a recall on the heater wiring etc. for my vehicle and it is the resister itself which is at fault.

The recall is out of date and no longer in force. It is 10 years from the in-service date of the warranty, that was 3 years ago that it expired for your vehicle

Can I help you further with your issue or have you decided not to test further.

The problem is you don't have power at the red wire at the resistor. You do have power at the fuse, the only junction between those two points is in the right fuse block. You told me you do not have power to the resistor at the red wire/ That is not the fault of the resistor

Let me know if you want to continue

Thank you