Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My 2006 Yukon denali cigarette lighter got a penny stuk in

Customer Question

My 2006 Yukon denali cigarette lighter got a penny stuk in it and burned out the fuse and smoke d up the truck it turns over but does not stay on
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

Sorry to hear about this. Did you check all other fuses?

Did any fire actually break out in there? And more than just a bunch of smoke?

IS there anything aftermarket installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No fire and there's chip for extra security but my remote doesn't work but I can cut on the lights by hand

Ok, that extra security, its likely then that system was damaged. Can you restore power to that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has power I think it's the stock security system
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any reset button

The pass lock gets its power from the BCM which is not on that same circuit. You talked about the security chip, and a reset button, those are not GM. Those are aftermarket and if they lost power or was shorted out, it would prevent starting. We can try a relearn.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run.
Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.
After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.
It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.

During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.