Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I HAVE A 2007 GMC YUKON DENALI AND IT HAS VERY RECENTLY

Customer Question

Customer: I HAVE A 2007 GMC YUKON DENALI AND IT HAS VERY RECENTLY DEVEVELOPED AN ENGINE WHINE THAT VARIES DEPENDING ON THE RPM WHILE RUNNIING. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE? HOW SERIOUS?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: WHILE I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S RELATED, IT HAS ALSO APPEARS TO HAVE DEVELOPED A FLUID LEAK. nOT SURE IF IT'S OIL OR WHAT?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GMC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: SURE.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Its hard to say at the moment if the whine is serious or not. My gut feeling is its not, but lets explore some options.

In the diagnosis, I would do this. Confirm the noise happens when parked. Then remove the belts and run the engine. With the belt off you can safely run the engine for about 1 minute before it will start to overheat. IF the whine is gone then it’s a problem with the belt drive, possibly the power steering pump, alternator or water pump.

If it does not then it may be something in the transmission or engine. When and where it whines, and what fluid is leaking will help narrow this down.