Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I was on a slow country road and I slowed down at a yield

Customer Question

I was on a slow country road and I slowed down at a yield sign, but when I pushed the throttle the check engine light came on and shift inhibited displayed on the dash. Any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jesse, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. First we need to see what you have for fault codes logged. Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. Did not show any codes. That's why I'm stumped. Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the update Jesse. Check to see if the check engine light comes on as it should and cycles when the key is on. If not that means the ECM is not communicating from either a loss of power or ground or possible a failed ECM. If ok test all your fuses and relays which you may have already done. Actually before i get too far ahead.... The engine does run but will not shift into gear? What model transmission do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?

What is the transmission model you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LCT 1000 6 speed no PTO.

Hi Jesse, I need to get you over to the GMC category that could better help you with more specifics. This is Med/Heavy truck.

Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
To show Range Shift Inhibited usually means a wiring issue, connection issue or something like that. It should show codes on the scanner so my first question is this, what scanner did you use?

Second is what your Vin is?