Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

I have a 1995 gmc with a non turbo 6.5 litter diesel. It

Customer Question

I have a 1995 gmc with a non turbo 6.5 litter diesel. It only has about 45000 miles on it. I was driving and it started ticking pretty bad so I pulled over and turned it off. I checked the oil and it was down about 2 quarts. So put the 2 quarts in and tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. It had power when I turned it to accessory and everything else seemed to have power. Turns out my battery wasn't charging. So I put the charger on it over night and it started right up but still has the tick. I don't know a whole lot about diesel engines but I figured the two are most likely connected. Any ideas what it could be?
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a bad injector
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I have seen some of the fuel injectors cause a tick noise like this here needing replaced.I have heard of being able to add a fuel conditioner to the diesel fuel as well that may smooth out the injector to clean the injector to stop the ticking.This may also be a valve lifter/tappet issue internally in the engine itself needing replaced.This will have to be checked into further to locate the cause and one of these here may be causing this as this can be common in some cases.

As for the dead battery issue check and make sure the battery cables are connected properly and are clean with no corrosion and if found o.k. the battery needs tested as well as the alternator to see if one of these are at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete