Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

I have a 2008 GMC Sieraa 2500HD with a 6.0l. Code P0496 is

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GMC Sieraa 2500HD with a 6.0l. Code P0496 is coming up with the check engine light. How do I get the light off?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to turn off the light the fault code needs diagnosed and repaired then a scan tool used to clear the fault code to then turn off the light.

Code P0496 indicates a fault with the EVAP fuel tank emissions system to where this is flow through the vapor system when the purge has not been activated.This can be caused by a faulty purge solenoid needing replaced (most common) or a fault with an incorrect reading fuel tank pressure sensor.This will have to be diagnosed/tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here then the code cleared to turn off the light.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the part number for a purge solenoid and what are the steps to replace it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The part number is ***** is located on the drivers side of the intake on top of the fuel rail.It is clipped to the fuel rail and has one connector and two vent lines that need disconnected then it can be removed and replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw62myvgdtqzw9q/purge-01-04.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Part number PV485 at autozone.com. Is this what I need?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It would be PV443 from Auto Zone.It is brought up in their web site as the Duralast Canister Purge valve.http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/canister-purge-valve/gmc/sierra-2500hd-4wd/2008/8-cylinders-k-6-0l-sfi?filterByKeyWord=purge+valve&fromString=search

Thanks Pete