Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

My girlfriends 2004 GMC Envoy is stuck in reverse. She was

Customer Question

My girlfriends 2004 GMC Envoy is stuck in reverse. She was in drive and stopped with the brakes applied. When I asked her to back up from the gate so I could swing it open, she put it in reverse and backed up. When she applied the brake and tried to shift in to drive, she found that it wouldn't budge. I had her engage the parking brake and get out. I was unable to shift out of reverse and ultimately turned the key off with the car in reverse. I was able to remove the ignition key once I turned it off. I noticed the shifter button depressed easily but the shifter feels as solid as a rock. Could you please advise me on the trouble shooting sequence for this problem?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the gear display shows reverse and what position is the shifter in ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The transmission is in reverse. It was running, it was in reverse, and she was unable to take the transmission out of reverse with the brake foot pedal depressed. It required that the parking brake be engaged so that she could get out of the vehicle without it moving backward. I got behind the wheel, applied the brake pedal, and was also unable to move the shifter from reverse. Finally, I just turned the ignition off with the transmission in gear since driving it in reverse was not an option.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

thank you for that information

if you get under the drivers side of the transmission and locate the shift cable at the transmission can you see if it is still connected to the transmission and if it is and the cable is not broken pop off the cable off the little metal lever and see if you can shift the transmission by hand with the little lever

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. The vehicle is in a remote location. I'll get on line and let you know the result when we get there.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

sure thing

if you need phone contact let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

anytime