Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

2006 canyon
, I have brand new battery, and Sun night

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and 2006 canyon
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have brand new battery, and Sun night the truck would not start, i thought dead battery tried to jump would not work. Once before the red lock out thing was on and did what internet said and it worked.. ok last week got a key made and i was using it, im thinking thats what did it not sure, we did the turn key on for 10 min off 5 then it sometimes will crank but it comes back on it has been doing this all week Im having to be pushed and let of clutch to get started. have any suggestions
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the vehicle starts with a push start using the clutch when this fault occurs here this isnt a security issue.If it was it wouldnt be able to be push started at all.

This sounds like a possible fault with the starter itself.I have seen the starter fail several times before in the past needing to be replaced to correct this type of fault here.

When this fault occurs again take a test light and test for power at the large cable at the starter.You should have power on this cable at all times key on or off.Next test the smaller cable on the post next to the large cable when someone is trying to start the engine.If you have power on this post with the smaller wire when someone is trying to start the engine this indicates that the starter is receiving the signal to crank but isnt cranking and the starter itself needs replaced.

If you do not have a test light to test this here try tapping on the starter while someone else is trying to crank over the engine.If it starts then the starter is faulty needing replaced.

If this is found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete