Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I am working on a 2000 GMC safari, my friend brought it over

Customer Question

Hello, I am working on a 2000 GMC safari, my friend brought it over because it quit running, the key he left with it will not turn the ignition or the door locks, I told him he has the wrong key, he said no that it must have quit working for some reason. It is on the key fob that will lock and unlock the doors, how can I tell if this is the right key or not? He said to just break the ignition and use a screw driver to turn it over, I said I don`t think that will work because you have to have the key with the chip in it to work correct? Thank you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 11 months ago.

If the key is worn, it is possible that it will not turn the ignition lock or the door lock cylinder. In that case, the best course of action would be to have the dealer cut a replacement key from the VIN. They typically charge about $35 to do this. You do need the key with the transponder chip to start the vehicle, otherwise the antitheft system will prevent starting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Dave, sorry it took awhile to get back, I went to the dealer with the vin # ***** he said he could make the key for $15, I said what about the chip, he said there is no chip on this 2000 model, I also have alldata and looked it up and cannot find any info on a chipped key or transponder. I tried the key and it will turn over but not start, what do you think, does it have a chipped key or not? Thank you.

If there is no security light on or flashing, then the key does not have the transponder. Next step is to check for spark while cranking. If you have spark, try starting fluid. If the engine fires off with starting fluid then you have a fuel problem, likely a bad fuel pump.