Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

1998 gmc somona. 4wd does NOT engage or 4Lo. What to do?

Customer Question

Customer: 1998 gmc somona. 4wd does NOT engage for 4Hi or 4Lo. What to do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: cannot getthe Sonoma 4wd to engage. push bottoms, but no lights come on and still in 2Hi for sure.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GMC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Do you have a scanner that has transfer case data

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. it is a 1998 and I do not have a scanner.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

I am unsure how I can assist. Can you stop and have the transfer case codes checked? the code readers at the parts store will not get transfer case codes