Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

2006 GMC Sierra hybrid had a 42 volt battery message,

Customer Question

2006 GMC Sierra hybrid had a 42 volt battery message for service, question is ? Can I turn batter key off and drive it as a regular truck until can get it to service
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases you can drive it for now until it can be checked and repaired but at some point it may not start or may shut down on you while driving.I would have this diagnosed and repaired as soon as you can to prevent being stranded at some point.The fault codes will need checked/read out to see what codes are set using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.I suspect the battery itself may need replaced as this is most common or there is a cable or connection issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete