Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

This is my second bout with this problem on my 2006 envoy

Customer Question

Customer: this is my second bout with this problem on my 2006 envoy denali. turning the key gives 1 click and all lights up on dash, headlights bright and yet no crank.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i brought it to the dealer this may and he changed the neg. bolt, which he said was stripped. Previously, this problem would happen intermittently. I suspect the remedy from may was just luck.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok...i suppose we won't know how valid the help is until it is fixed?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

when this happens is it physically the starter you hear click ?

how do you end up getting it started when its doing this ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's either the luck of the draw or finally, so I thought, they replaced a neg ground bolt on the battery..after which I didn't happen for 7 mo s. That was the only thing they could find. Right now it's stuck dead in my driveway
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

if you put your fingers on the starter / crank relay in the under hood fuse box do you feel that relay click with your fingers when you hold the key to crank ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Obviously I can't beat starting the car and feeling the fuse box at the same time but I think the click that I hear seems to be coming from about that area.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Do you have a test light or a scanner?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not, since the car is stuck in my driveway, I can't even have my auto guy eval
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

I do not know how I can help if I cant give you things to check. Please advise as to how you want to proceed. It is my suspicion you either have an ignition switch problem, A fusible link problem or a BCM problem. Basic testing with a test light could narrow it down.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand...I will return from vacation on Jan 4. I will have it towed to my auto guys garage. I will have them scan and then help guide them with your answers. Is that ok? I just don't want the garage to wonder aimlessly. I have replaced the ignition switch about 3 yrs ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is a bcm
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

Body control Module, It controls power to several of things you are having problems with.

When you replaced the switch was it a genuine GM or an aftermarket?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ity was done at a dealer. Now that I think about it, it was replaced prob closer to 5 yrs. Do you recommend it being towed to the dealer, instead of a local garage?. The dearler is fairly close too, but expensive
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

I am not a big fan of dealers especially with older cars. I would suggest the local garage. I would make sure they are capable of programming anything that may need to be programmed. The BCM will need to be programmed if it is bad as well as the ignition switch. If your local garage is going to send to dealer anyway for programming you may as well send it there. Many local shops now do their own programming. A few phone calls to local shops may save you lots over the dealer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
now it's crazy..We had the exact same thing 6mo ago. The dealer also, couldn't find anything but noticed the neg ground connection bolt was stripped, so they replaced that. We didn't have the issue again until now. It really makes me less co fident to take the car, as I never know when it will happen again.
Can you check the voltages across the ignition switch? Perhaps there is a shorted connection somewhere? The symptoms are , once again, no sounds except for 1 click when you turn the key. All idiot lights and gauges as well as lights go on fine. It just feels like something isn't there consistent ly to let car crank.
anything online? It's very frustrating.
Did the car start to get to your shop?. It was deader than a door nail for 3 days prior. It started at the gaurage by chance and hasn't had an issue since Monday. What to do? It's unreliable until we silve
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok well there is actually a gm bulletin the regards ***** ***** and being that it is under warranty, I would take the vehicle to you local dealer and give them this bulletin #PIT4557. This bulleting regards ***** ***** solder joint at the starter. This has been a fairly common problem. I have seen several of these and this fixed the problem. Here is some info from the bulletin.Condition/Concern:Some customers may comment of a no crank no start or delayed crank concern. This concern may be intermittent and difficult to duplicate. Vehicle will store no DTCs and display no indicators for any fault or failure. Battery will be fully charged and show no evidence of being weak. This concern may be caused by a poor ground solder joint at the starter solenoid. This is the connection between the starter motor and the solenoid.Recommendation/Instructions:Using a test light, check for power on circuit 5 at the starter motor solenoid when the concern is current. This is the purple wire from starter relay to the starter solenoid. Refer to SI document(NNN) NNN-NNNNas needed. If power is present at the starter solenoid, suspect a poor ground solder joint at the starter solenoid.▶ this sounds like my issue, can you forward. This bulletin? Pit 4557
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line the past couple of days.

I dont see this PIT on your model here.Can you double check the PIT number for this for me?

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As you can see above, I copied and pasted the reply....I have no other way to confirm PIT # ***** than the 4557 given. It is possible that this PIT from another gm model matched the symptoms I submitted.Three Question
1.
does this sound like a legitimate possiblity as these are the exact symptoms I have. At this point, the car started working again, so those solder connection s must be aligned again and there is voltage across .
2.
What do you think about resoldering those 2 connections and see what happens? Unless you have a better idea
3.
. Can you see what remedy this PIT 4557 was and how they handled?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,I do not see this PIT coming up on your model here but this is a very good possibility of what is causing this issue here.This PIT does fit some of the 2006 Envoy but for some reason isnt coming up on yours here.Here is the info and the repair is to replace the complete starter assembly.This should be done.

#PIT4557

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of a no crank no start or delayed crank concern. This concern may be intermittent and difficult to duplicate. Vehicle will store no DTCs and display no indicators for any fault or failure. Battery will be fully charged and show no evidence of being weak. This concern may be caused by a poor ground solder joint at the starter solenoid. This is the connection between the starter motor and the solenoid.

Recommended/Instructions:

Using a test light, check for power on circuit 5 at the starter motor solenoid when the concern is current. This is the purple wire from starter relay to the starter solenoid. Refer to SI document(###) ###-####as needed. If power is present at the starter solenoid, suspect a poor ground solder joint at the starter solenoid. Replace the starter motor with current SPO parts.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete