toddwr007
toddwr007, Other
Experience:  GM Master certified.35 years of experience in the automotive field. ASE Master Certified Technician
24034660

A 2003GMC Envoy that won't start. I was having the problem

Customer Question

Customer: A 2003GMC Envoy that won't start. I was having the problem about a year ago on a fairly regular basis, could sometimes run the gear shift back and forth and it would start. Was going to have it towed at one point and the tow driver did something to manually bypass the starter and got it to turnover. Took it to a chevy dealer for repair, they couldn't get it to dupicate the problem, so guessed at an ignition switch, but I had the problem again, then it just started working again for about 10 months and I started having the problem again in November. Tried the gear shift again and didn't work. Had it towed to a repair shop, they replaced a relay switch in the gear shift, and it worked for awhile again, but has stopped again. When it happened back in November, a friend was able to get it going by again bypassing the starter.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All the lights go on, radio, etc. but it just won't crank. Repair shops tell me that can't solve the problem if they cant duplicate it in the shop. The act to towing sometimes will jiggle something and it will start when it arrives at repair site. I have been told it could be the starter or it could be the fuse block.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  toddwr007 replied 1 year ago.

Hello: has anyone tested the transmission range switch (this is the switch that tells the computer what posistion that the gear shifter is in! These are somewhat common to go bad causing this type of problem It is mounted on the transmission behind the shift arm were the shifter cable connects, (it is a black plastic box with wire connectors going to it, Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other possible causes?
Expert:  toddwr007 replied 1 year ago.

This is the most common issue (we have replaced many of these) but we have also seen a lot of bad connections at this switch, do to water intrusion, they will loose connections also causing the same type issues, See this switch is also the neutral saftey switch, when working correctly it allows the voltage to flow thru it to the starter, when in park or neutral posistions, Thanks