Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

I recently purchased a used 2003 GMC 1500 cargo van with a

Customer Question

I recently purchased a used 2003 GMC 1500 cargo van with a 4.3 liter v-6 engine auto with 135,000 miles from a company that took very good care of it. They gave me all the service records on the vehicle. My question to you is the service records on 6/2/2015 shows the mechanic found a loose thrust bearing that has worn into the side of the crankshaft.They repaced the thrust bearing and installed a high pressure oil pump, stating that this would help the engine last longer. Will this engine last a few more years if i maintain it.
I am a self employed contractor for 35 years. Concerned about the engine life. Thank you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

That should be fine as long as the thrust bearing was replaced and the end play in the crankshaft is within specs.

(0.002- 0.008 inch)
.

Also, yes the high(er) pressure oil pump will help keep the parts well oiled, which in turn will help the engine to last longer.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The information i received from the mechanic was not very helpful. I was given the same info from the garage that had done the work from service records i received from the seller when i purchased the van.
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

I see, thanks. It may be that there are no "other" answers about it. What is it that you had wished to gather from us?