Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

In my 1987 gmc pick up the truck will not run unless the

Customer Question

in my 1987 gmc pick up the truck will not run unless the tank selector switch is held in the spring loaded position on both tanks,i installed new switch new valve,new pumps and new sending units,what gives? can you help?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The place to start is to check the voltage at the switch with it in the normal positions, see the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Selector%20switch%20Dec%208.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not ignoring you I am a working single parent. I just got back to the vehicle and I applied your link. All your linked criteria has already been met. I failed to mention not that it matters, that I removed the springs in the switch assembly and the vehicle has been running that way for past 3 years. I would still like to know whey the vehicle will not run unless its in the spring loaded position on the switch. I am dumbfounded and you are now entering my frustration. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you are having to modify the switch by removing the springs then I would suspect the switch is defective especially if it runs with them removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your thoughts were the same as mine that is why I purchased 3 OEM switches. Obviously to find out that is not the issue.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well at this point I am out ideas, if you would like, I can open the question back up and hopefully some else may have something new to add. Let me know.