Toolhut
Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I still have the same problem with my 94 jimmy. The brake

Customer Question

I still have the same problem with my 94 jimmy. The brake pedal is still hard with little brakes. I bled them as you suggested, replaced brake booster, changed out ABS unit, changed master cylinder and changed the perportioner value, bled brakes several
times with penalty of fluid to each wheel, brake pedal gets hard before stopping.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Check and make sure you have plenty of vacuum to the brake booster and that the brake booster check valve is working o.k. (this is the valve that usually plugs into the brake booster that the vacuum hose is connected to.If any of these have an issue at all the fault for the loss of vacuum will need corrected or the check valve replaced.In some cases intakes leaking engine vaccum cause this as well as intakes clogged with carbon.If this was all already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
All of the above checked ok
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Did you test the vacuum to see how much vacuum is being pulled at the brake booster and if so how much was being pulled?

Was the brake pedal rod checked for damage at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete,I checked the vacum, ,It has 18 lbs,rod checked ok what now?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Do you hear any grinding or groaning noises at all from the brakes when applying the brakes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No noise,the brakes worked great until i replaced a broken brake line and got air in the system,the mec. who bleed the brakes said the booster was bad and relaced it, then we replaced ABS,another brake booser,master cyl. and perportion valve.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Do you know if brake fluid is making through the new brake line that was installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All 4 wheels are getting great fluid pressure when being bled
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,this is a difficult one for me myself to be able to answer from here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

With the vacuum gauge installed how quickly does the vacuum return after a snap throttle? How steady is the needle.

Have you replaced the check valve at the booster?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That checked out ok
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

So just some clarification. If you hold the brake pedal when you start it does the pedal fall at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the pedal goes down,next
Expert:  Toolhut replied 11 months ago.

If the pedal goes down then it is getting vacuum and must be a booster problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We puut a second booster on and is still the same.