Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

1986 gmc sierra 5.0 4 barrel electonic ignition changed

Customer Question

1986 gmc sierra 5.0 4 barrel electonic ignition changed distributor cap and rotor now it will not start
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

"Now", it will not start. Meaning that it was before the work was done? What was the reason for the cap and rotor replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was riding alittle rough step on gas it would hesitate or turn off
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

It could be the module but from the way it was shutting off when accelerating and now won't start it could very well be that one of the wires, (probably the green one) going to the pick up coil is broken.

.

They normally get cracked from the moving of the plate during spark advance and they will hesitate and shut off when the connection is interrupted.

.

If you take the cap back off see if the little wires are both connected to the pick up.

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can send some test instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Where did you go?