Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

06 gmc yukon denali AWD only at very low speed when backing

Customer Question

06 gmc yukon denali AWD only at very low speed when backing out or pulling in front wheels seems to kinda jerk or seem to hank up slowing turning and making steering hard kinda to turn.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can i get your first name please?

With your vehicle, how long has this been going on?
Any recent repairs to your vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ken, week
tierods and aligement same time frame.

OK Ken. I can only assume this was not there prior to the tie rods and alignment, so with that in mind I would like to start by checking the work that was done. Is everything tight? Any damage to the wiring for the front wheel speed sensors?

Look at your Toe setting. With the wheel straight you can eyeball down the sidewalls of the front tire and see where it lines up on the back. It should be almost perfectly straight. The toe in spec is very small, almost non existent.
IF that’s good then we need to see if a wheel bearing is failing. Lift the front end and see if there is any play in the wheel bearings. Check the axle shafts.

I know these are straight forward things, but I feel they are needed as this sounds like a mechanical issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check all connections i think that I could have bumped during installation just doubled check tonight, was wondering about wheel speeds as well toe does seem a little out but hard to say replaced wheels bearing last summer used Timken second time

Ok, did you have the alignment done at a shop then following the repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been using the shop and know the techs well 19 plus years but any one can make small mistake.

Something could have happened on the alignment machine. I know ours is a pain at times. Check out that toe as I mentioned and see what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll get it double check this week
Thanks Cam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I pose my issue to the techs to make easy to explain for them to understand

Can you demonstrate it while driving? It sounds like the front is binding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the front is binding when turning slow at realy low speeds only

Is the abs or traction system activating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A DIC poped once that said service stability but it has gone havnt seen it since earlier today for a brief second.

Ok after you verify everything is good, see if disabling the traction helps it. If not then I really think we need to revise the alignment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you mean the dash switch I tried that no luck with that either ill check the abs,traction system

The switch disables the traction system, nut not ABS. See if its different if you turn one way vs the other. If not then look at the alignment. IF so, then we look to a wheel speed sensor issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried left and right it does it from both sides
When its almost to lock out going forward and backward it almost feels like its in 4wd on dry pavement if I could switch it ,
but cant since its awd its full time kinda

Ok, so not ABS. Then thinking alignment. Since that was just done and it started after that, lets revisit that and see where that takes us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aligement all good tire pressure good,
Transferer case issue?

It should not be, did you just change tires over then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Change tires u mean rotate them?
Yes then back again same issue both ways

I meant to replace. If no then let's explore the transfer case. What's the condition of the fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just changed all fluids 25k miles ago
Is good nice a red.

Ken, let me think about this while I go to the Gym. This is something odd.

Sorry Ken, I got side tracked with a personal matter. Why this happened after the repairs you did is strange. I would say its because of the alignment, but because that tests good I have to wonder why. Does it happen more when its hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no happens cold warm not sure either.

When you replaced the tie rods, did you remove the Center link that the tie rods go into?

If so, then it's possible to put it in backwards, meaning the curved part going forward rather than rearward and it would change the toe on turns.