Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GMC Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Check engine light went on after I left gas cap unscrewed.

Customer Question

Hi Dave, check engine light went on after I left gas cap unscrewed. Tightened cap, went off for a few days. Back on again. Turned gasket over after reading a few posts but didn't work this time. Also read post stating remote start doesn't work and check engine light on at same time. Sure enough, my remote start doesn't work either. Thoughts?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Did you happen to have any "p-codes" scanned from the on-board computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not Ron
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts and sensors in the EVAP (eimissions) System that when faulty will set the Check Engine Light. If removing the cap and then re-seating it helped for a few days, strong chance this is a problem with the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor or a solenoid or valve in-line with the FTP Sensor. If you are absolutely sure the fuel cap is good, then at this point, we'd need those diagnostic trouble codes (aka "p-codes") to have a starting point for the diagnosis. The p-codes will more accurately point to where the fault lies, and from there the correct repair can be made. Like I say, sounds like a FTP sensor problem, but that's at the top of the fuel tank and before I say drop the fuel tank and replace it, I'd really like to have a p-code to confirm. Too much work based on a "could be". You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc).

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.