Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have two cars with 4.3L v6 that won't reach operating

Customer Question

I have two cars with 4.3L v6 that won't reach operating temperature - '87 Caballero and '93 C1500 pickup - thermostat new in Cab' and checked the one from the C1500 (opens only when water boils on stove). I saw this post you answered years ago,
http://www.justanswer.com/buick/5tlmq-buick-regal-gran-sport-96-buick-regal-3-8-running-cool.html#
and wonder if same could apply to my cars. I just looked up intake gaskets for the C1500 and it shows them with water jacket blocked on one end - ebay shows some that look same without the blocks.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The 4.3 manifold is blocked at the rear of the engine (no coolant crossover). The front of the intake has a coolant crossover passage, this is also where the thermostat housing is. There are no restrictions in the intake gasket on this engine. There is a coolant bypass hose coming off the front of the manifold to the top of the water pump. You could crimp off this hose with pliers and see if this allows the engine to reach operating temperature. If it helps, you could install a restrictor inside the bypass hose.