Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1991 gmc k2500 5.7 63000miles only have 2 and reverse, i

Customer Question

1991 gmc k2500 5.7 63000miles
only have 2 and reverse, i changed the shift valves didn't help.
can you show me the 12 wire connector? I see a mauve color but no pink
thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

The 12v wire to the trans solenoids should be red. (see diagram).

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Also there was a bulletin for them.

.

No Movement When Transmission is Shifted to Drive or Third - Normal Operation When Shifted to Second, First or Reverse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the colors on that harness don't match mine. the 2 that have 12v are not the red, they seem to be orange with black tracers
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

.

*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********

.

.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

With the key on, do you have voltage at the TRANS fuse in the fuse panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any fuse labeled for the trans, but I did check all fusses and they were good
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

TRANS fuse is at bottom on left side (see attached diagram) Check for voltage at this fuse with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts both sides of fuse
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

And do you have voltage at the pink/black wire at transmission connector with key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have voltage at 2 wires, to me they seem orange with black tracer. Can you show me at what position the pink wire would be
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You should have two power wires. The pink may be discolored and look like orange. Do you have voltage on these two wires with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

So with the shifter in Drive, does the transmission seem to stay stuck in 2nd gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no matter there you put it, it seems to be in 2nd gear. manually shifting doesn't make a difference. It does have reverse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

When you tested voltage at the Trans fuse, was the connector plugged in at the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Make sure all connectors are plugged in, then recheck voltage at the Trans fuse with engine running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 volts,
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

When you replaced the shift solenoids, did you see any breaks in the internal wiring harness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no idid't
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a possible bad ECM or mechanical failure within the transmission, but some more diagnosis with an ohmmeter would need to be done to know for sure.