JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Technician
25345654

I have a vibration in my 1997 GMC 1/2 ton pick -up in the

Customer Question

I have a vibration in my 1997 GMC 1/2 ton pick -up in the front half of the vehicle. The brakes, and tires are new. The tires have been balanced. There is some wear in the steering parts, but not nearly enough to cause this vibration. It is only really noticeable at 65 to 75 mph when in 2 wd. With my snow plow on it the vibration starts at 45 mph. Any ideas what might be the cause?
Category: GMC
Expert:  JFN1 replied 1 year ago.

There is a possibility that this is a torque converter clutch shudder. Your mechanic can test this by taking it for a road test and replicating the vibration, then using a scan tool, simply disable the TCC and see if the shake goes away.

If there was anything else in your transmission that was slipping and giving that sort of vibration, you wouldn't have clean fluid and your transmission wouldn't last very long. If it's in the transmission, it's the TCC. Otherwise, it's somewhere else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice my mechanic is thinking torque converter but not sure what to do
Expert:  JFN1 replied 1 year ago.

It is easy enough to pinpoint, he shouldn't do anything with your torque converter if he doesn't take the time to verify that disabling the TCC makes the problem go away.

It can also be a driveline vibration, but that has a distinct feel. He/You could just remove the front driveline altogether for purposes of road testing to confirm. As for the rear driveline, I would at least remove it and manipulate all of the universal joints to be sure one of them is not binding. You can't verify this without removing the shaft, it's very evident with the shaft out of the truck.